Door locks are available in all the functions usually required in a house. These include Passage, Privacy, Dummy, and for deadbolts and keyed sideplate locks, Single Keyed and Double Keyed. Key-in-Lever and Knob locks are available with one function only, with a keyed cylinder on the outside and a turn-piece release on the inside.
- This function is used for doors where no locking is required. The knobs or levers freely operate the latch. Passage sets are commonly used on interior doors, and sometimes on an exterior door in conjunction with a separate deadbolt.
- Usually used on bathroom doors, and any other door that needs to be locked from the inside. A push button is provided on the knob/lever, pushing the button fixes the outside handle. A clearance hole is provided in the outside knob/lever to permit the lock to be released with a nail, if needed. Privacy locks should not be used to secure an exterior door.
- Usually used on patio doors, and any other door that needs to be locked from the inside. A push button is provided on the knob/lever, pushing the button fixes the outside handle. When locked from the inside there is NO ACCESS from the outside.
- Used on fixed (non-operating) doors and sometimes on closet doors. These handles do not operate, they stay in a fixed position, no latch is provided or normally needed. Dummy handles provide a firm grip where desired, and are used on the non-locking side of french doors to give balanced, matching appearance. Schlage dummy handles are surface mounted, no bore holes are required in the door. All mounting hardware is provided.
- The most popular configuration for deadbolt locks, a keyed cylinder is provided for the outside and a turn-piece is located on the inside. The lock may be locked or unlocked with a key from the outside. The turn-piece allows locking or unlocking without a key from the inside.
- Used in situations where free egress from the inside is not needed or desired. Keyed cylinders are provided for both outside and inside. Locking and unlocking can be accomplished only with a key.